Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Karibu, Cura! One Volunteer's Experience


Here's what Alyana, a recent volunteer to Cura, had to say about her visit:


I was welcomed to Cura Orphanage with open arms, smiles, hugs, and surprisingly even a quick proposal after the question had first been popped to my Dad. Within a few minutes, I knew this would be an experience to remember.

My Dad and I arrived while all the kids were still in school, so before the rush of curious kids flooded out from the classrooms Hayden and Quinn gave us a tour. We saw everything from the computer room to the clinic and lastly met the lovely housemothers picking out little rocks from beans and rice. Quinn and I tried learning, but at a snail's pace compared to the experienced mothers.

As lunched rolled out onto plates, the kids hesitantly looked over at me, questioning who I was while they wolfed down their beans and potatoes. But after the first couple brave souls introduced themselves, I was quickly submerged in a sea of kids. After word spread that my name was Alyana (Ariana, as they pronounced it) -- the girl ALL THE WAY from Canada, Quinn and I began our first task: getting all the kids to trace their hands and colorfully decorate their artwork!




Getting the first few kids was a little bit of a struggle, but Minnet, a spunky student, gladly smiled and pulled a couple of her friends in, and as soon as the others saw the rainbows of art supplies they rushed to the door clawing to get in. As we filtered everyone in, Quinn and I could see how happy all the kids were to be housed at the orphanage. Truly appreciative of everything they had, Cura became a haven of love for them and the only home they needed.

After organizing all the handprints and busying ourselves with little tasks, Quinn and I were thrilled when the kids were let out of school. They changed out of their vibrant blue sweaters and pulled our hands out to the red mud grounds where they taught us their skipping games and daily recess chants.

When my parents arrived, all the kids gathered around the car with bright eyes and a continuous hum of questions. Once all had been answered, Grace, one of the housemothers, assembled the chorus of kids and we were sent off with songs! The end of a great first day!

Welcomed by Moses on the second day, Quinn and I quickly started our second task: taking portrait shots of all the kids. Learning their names and little things about each of them, the day quickly flew by and we had every photo we needed.

But before I left, the best treat of all awaited. All the students attending the Cura Primary School, outfitted in their brand new costumes, performed their competition routine, singing and dancing traditional songs. An amazing performance, which, I was glad to hear, served them well at the competition!





The third day again was filled with smiles and songs as Hayden donated multiple sets of books for everyone at the primary school. The most unexpected gift of all was a beautiful bag given to Hayden that brought tears to her eyes. The multiple hugs of thanks were followed by chuckles as the head boy and girl thanked Hayden on behalf of the entire school, making a few nervous mistakes. Once Quinn and I were trampled by the kids hurrying back to school we started stamping the books and ended the day with a delicious meal: chai and bread and butter!


When the last day rolled around… I never anticipated crying myself. I stopped by at lunch to say goodbye and help out on any last things. I was handed letters of goodbyes (“goodbye for now” as I renamed them) and skipped a few last times before waving to all the kids as they rushed back to classes. The younger ones, who finish earlier, stayed behind and unable to resist their cheery smiles I stayed on to play and entertain as much as I could. But when the time came a couple clung on to my legs and started to cry. It broke my heart to say “goodbye for now” and I too started to cry during the final group hug– the sign of a truly memorable experience.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and spot on. This captures the experience of visiting Cura as well as it can be captured.

    ReplyDelete