Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Generosity

Those bulging envelopes contain gifts of artwork and prized possessions that some of the kids in Cura asked me to distribute to their pen pals and other loved ones... I was almost sad to see them go into the mail, as they've been sitting on my desk at home as reminders of the capacity to give in the face of such scarcity.

Drawing a picture or writing a letter to a faceless friend across the world is an act of emotional generosity in itself -- and sending a sentimental trinket is something else altogether. The children in Cura don't have much by way of personal possessions, yet they turned some of the dearest of them over to me, joyfully and with trust that they would safely reach their intended recipients.



I've taken that responsibility pretty seriously. Believe me.
-H

No comments:

Post a Comment