Sunday, July 3, 2011

Saturday was Bittersweet

Samuel rode a bicycle around the field probably 100 times.
Henry played football with our driver, Gilbert.
Grace and Phyllis spent prepared 150 chapatis on the new jiko and pans.
Minne and Naomi learned three new songs from my Girl Scout counselor days and promised to teach other kids when we're gone.
Margaret and Esther and Nancy had an enthusiastic dance party in the tv room.
Sharon tucked herself against me, drew my ratty old kikoi over her head and napped for an hour.
Esther and Mercy reminded me to pass along messages to their pen pals.
Amos and Peter asked over and over when we'd be back.
John Michael gave me a stack of drawings of birds to take home.
Loise begged to look at the photos on my camera one more time so she could memorize them.
Simon didn't want to look at us when we made our way out to leave.
Minnet let herself be dragged by the car instead of letting go of my hand.

Leaving is brutal.
-H

No comments:

Post a Comment