Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cura Weekend

The day I arrived, I went to my local Bata at the top floor of the Nakumatt Prestige, and placed an order for 50 gumboots in very specific sizes. I had hoped for some fun colors or even zebra and cheetah prints, but black was my only option... so I took it! Even with the basic and very glamorous black boot order, there were complications -- apparently there's a rain boot shortage plaguing Nairobi! The intrepid women of Bata were undeterred, however, and eventually called me to say I could come take advantage of the buy-two-get-one-free sale! 

We got the boots boxed up and to the car, then wonderful Gilbert got the boxes up the many flights of stairs to my Nairobi apartment... where I got to work assigning each pair to the appropriate size/child and stuffing socks and other goodies inside. The boots will be distributed tomorrow, when the children are out of school -- and not a moment too soon, since the rain is getting serious!


Of course, I also visited Cura over the weekend -- I can't stay away! Lots of coloring and computing and silliness, amid the real-life chores of laundry and food prep. Joyce (in the yellow and the enormous smile) invited me to help knead the chapati dough, assuring me that it is "very enjoyable." She was right! And the finished product? Delicious, as usual!





No comments:

Post a Comment