Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday at the Water Slides -- Thank you, Lilly!!

Cura is wonderful, but getting out and about is great, too... so we like to take the kids on field trips when we can. Incredible volunteer Lilly made the arrangements and got the kids and mothers out to the water slides today -- and everyone had a great time. Here's an excerpt from Lilly's report -- and some sunny, splashy photos from the big day!





The weather was picture perfect, the driver was punctual, cordial and stuck to the price negotiated - I'm hoping to call on him again if we organise another trip in the not too distant future.  When I visited Cura yesterday I asked Moses to help me gather the kids around to announce the trip and oh my gosh, my heart swells and my eyes water just remembering how they all reacted to hear they were going on a trip!!!  It was mayhem for a good 5 minutes before order was restored.  

At the park this morning we were greeted by Davis, the park manager, he welcomed us and quickly got down to the business of the park's safety rules.  Everyone was very well behaved and listened carefully.  The entry tags were fastened on the children's wrists and off they ran to change into their swimming costumes, however, 13 kids did not have proper swimming costumes, I was forced to rent them costumes at Ksh 50 each.  I have to tell you I felt funny doing this, but I had no choice, these kids would have had to sit out the entire day watching their peers have fun.  But Davis totally surprised me, he gave me a huge discount on the entry fees, instead of charging me the Ksh.300 p/c, p/a,  he charged me Ksh.200 and waved the fee for the mothers -- the total for park entry for 48 children was Ksh. 9600.00!!!  I will be writing him a separate thank you note tomorrow.  Now I hope you don't mind me doing so, but because we got such a huge break in the park entry fee, I decided to give the kids one last treat - I ran to Nakumatt and bought 10 packets of chipolatas (small sausages) to add to their lunch which consisted of rice and nothing else.  I live just two minutes from VM, I drove home, cooked the sausages and was back in twenty-five minutes.  Today was just a fab day, everyone had a great time and the smiles on their faces was beyond overwhelming.  By the time 3:45p.m. rolled around these kids were exhausted and ready to head home...after many hugs and goodbyes, they finally boarded the bus at 4:30 and were on their way back to Cura.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article. My kids also love going to water parks and going down the water slides. We have been to a few pretty cool water parks but none as nice as the great wolf lodge. It is defiantly the most impressive out of all the Kansas City Parks. They have so many different rides that the kids can have fun on all day.

    ReplyDelete