Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Nairobi Kismet Downpour

It was no Starbucks, but this cup of instant coffee kicked off a day of Nairobi unpredictability ...  I needed the caffeine to keep my energy up for the endless traffic jams and weather delays. 


The day started with a long meeting with Daniel, the volunteer accountant who manages the Cura accounts here in Nairobi. We brainstormed some approaches to reconciling our accounts, and I gave him a Seattle Sounders cap...

I had intended to go to Cura after my morning meeting with Daniel, but a torrential downpour ensued right after lunch, and I was forced to re-evaluate my well-laid plans. At the height of the storm, right when the rain was blowing sideways into the kiosk where I was nursing an Americano at Village Market, I got a call from Heidi, a contact Jane introduced me to at our Tribe meeting on Sunday. I decided to make the trek across town to meet with her... and I was so glad I did!
Heidi grew up in Pasadena, CA -- and we discovered our shared hometown roots over fresh juice at Pete's (no, not Peet's) coffee... Heidi is working with the Quaker missionaries in Nairobi and leads workshops in anti-violence training and healing for PTSD. She is the answer to about two years of searching for a therapeutic approach to the trauma our kids in Cura have experienced as a result of losing their parents. I am amazed at my good luck today -- and thankful for the rain and the wind and the traffic that made this connection happen!



No comments:

Post a Comment