Friday, September 3, 2010

A Registered Letter from Cura

Earlier this week, the postman knocked on my door, asking me to sign for a registered letter from Nairobi. After I'd explained my connection to Kenya to the very patient public servant on my doorstep, I opened the envelope... and was thrilled to find a lovely letter and series of drawings from one of the girls in Cura! Two of the contents of the envelope, in particular, are now on display together in my office:


This drawing from Esther's own experience of the world...


And this page from a donated coloring book!


Esther and her friends and family have likely never seen snow, let alone a snowmobile... and they certainly can't imagine owning one! Here's hoping 2010 will bring loads of donations of culture-specific books for the children in Cura---please contact me if you've got any ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment