Friday, June 18, 2010

Cura's June 2010 Volunteers

This week, Cura will welcome seven volunteers who plan to work on a variety of projects related to the Primary School, the Clinic, the Computer Lab, the Library, and the Home. We'd like you to know who we are! In each of the informational segments below, we're providing a brief introduction, and we'll post subsequent updates about our work in Cura in the upcoming weeks. When possible, we've linked to our individual blogs, as well, in case you want to follow our more personal reflections about our travels.
Hayden Bixby Nichols and Greg Van Belle

We are thrilled to be returning to Cura, since it's been a year since we were last there. We look forward to reconnecting with the good people who live and work on behalf of the children at the Home.

Linette Bixby

Linette says:
I can't wait to play with the children at Cura - to see the happy faces (that I've only really seen on the Cura website) of these children who have endured so much in their few years of life. I'm also looking forward to meeting the teachers who are making such a huge difference in their lives. I'm looking forward to being a part of an organization that is doing so many wonderful things.

She can also be tracked at http://linetteinafrica.blogspot.com/

Evan Nichols

Evan says:
I am fifteen years old and I am very excited for this trip. I cant wait to meet the kids at Cura and the child we sponsor. I am also excited to meet kids my age who live in Cura. It will be interesting to talk to a kid my age who lives on the other side of the world!

She can also be tracked at http://evaninkenya.blogspot.com/

Tesha Taylor

Tesha says:
I have been independently involved with educating myself on HIV/AIDS education, awareness and relief efforts in Africa since I was young and the passion I feel for this cause is irresistible. There has always been something very magnetic about the idea of volunteering in Africa, and the opportunity to work at Cura is a dream come true to say the least. I also feel touched that my sister Tami will be alongside me through this journey and we will have these memories to share forever.


Tami Taylor

Tami says:
I have been fortunate in that I have done a lot traveling, but it has been years since I was able to combine that travel with service. I am incredibly excited to once again be apart of something that matters. After years of working in the often harsh and disillusioning corporate world, I am ready to do more with my life. I truly want to make a difference. Ever since I was a little girl, I have had a fascination with Africa. I am so very grateful that I was able to take advantage of this opportunity.

Matthew Ransley
Matt found us via our website and has been developing his volunteer proposal for months. He plans to live in Cura over the next several months, contributing to the development of the computer lab and other ongoing projects!













No comments:

Post a Comment